You can take all the tea in China

I spent 2 years trying to carry a pregnancy to term.  I endured 4 miscarriages, progesterone shots, patches, medicine that made me have PMS every day of the month, and mood swings that make me surprised that anyone would still want to have me in their life.

My daughters birth was considered a miracle by her doctors and I most certainly cannot argue that point.  She is a precious gift to our family and our love for her is ferocious.

When Mia was just over a year old, I made a video to celebrate her first year with us.  I would like to share it with you.

Here is just one of four reasons why I went in to work on Monday and gave my notice:

I have missed her so much that I made myself physically sick.

I went to hell and back to have her, then proceeded to spend 3/4 of my time away from her.

Yes, I quit my job. I quit my job because I want and NEED to be with my children.

The surprising thing is, Carl, my boss, hugged me and said he understood, and welcomed my offer to work PRN (as needed)! More about that later.

For now, I need to go dance with my girl to Tupleo Honey.

This entry was posted in Life's good. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to You can take all the tea in China

1. Paula says:

I’m so glad that you made this decision! This time working, at a job that you love, has seemed like such a struggle for you, emotionally and logistically.

2. Kim says:

Well, you’ve put the videos I’ve made to shame, my dear. That was WONDERFUL and it brought tears to my eyes. I’m so glad to hear about your decision! When I have children, I fully intend on staying home with them if at all possible.

3. Sherri says:

Yahoo!
    I think that sometimes in this society that we live in, we forget, children don’t remember the money we made – they remember the times we made memories. I struggle with feeling that I need to have it all – others can do it? Why can’t I? My children and myself thank-you for the reminder.

4. Daniella says:

Coming out of lurkdom to tell you that I think that you made a very courageous decision. I have a 20 month old daughter and am struggling with pregnancy loss and secondary infertility. You were already my hero and this entry inspires me even more.

Blessings,

Daniella

5. Rebecca P says:

I hope that everything works out well, and that you are able to find the time with your little ones that you need.

6. ccap says:

Thanks!

7. jody2ms says:

I think I used Sony Picture Package. I am not thrilled with the quality though. The original pictures are very clear, but appear blurred on the video unless you use the small framed mode on Youtube.

I plan to redo it with another progam….when time allows. You can use any progam to do it, then load it into Youtube to share.

8. ccap says:

Can I ask you what kind of program you use to make such a video? I’d really like to try it out sometime. If you have a moment could you either post the program name on here or email me at ccaplett@yahoo.ca?

Thanks!

9. ccap says:

Positively lovely video.

10. lammyann says:

Jody girl….
    What a beautiful beautiful way to share your precious Mia. She is beautiful, as are you.
    I am glad you are going with your heart… it will never lead you astray.
    It’s rough living on limited income so that you can be an influence to your kids (and vise versa)… but the payoff is priceless.

Hugs to you and yours…

11. Chrissie says:

This entry has brought me out of lurkdom because it resonates with me so much.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I figured I’d probably go back to work after my mat leave was up.

Well, here in Canada we get a year for mat leave, and after that, there was no way I could leave my baby girl with anyone else. We gave up the place in daycare we had reserved for her, and although I did go back to work, I work in a retail pharmacy so I was able to go back nights and weekends. Enough to get me out of the house and make a bit of money for the family, but always knowing my baby was with her daddy.

Congratulations on your decision. I doubt you’ll ever regret it.

12. Corky says:

Awesome!! I stayed home until my kids were in college. It’s so quiet around the house now, so working now is nice and helps with college expenses.

13. Karen says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like this was the perfect decision for you and your family.

Karen

14. owlhaven says:

GOOD for you!!

Hugs

Mary, mom to many

15. Jodi says:

Jody,
    I can totally relate. I just can’t imagine going to work and leaving my babies (who are so babish anymore) at a daycare. I just can’t. You will never regret this decision and little Mia will never forget it either.

16. Rachel says:

Good for you! I’m glad you made the decision that would make you happy and let you spend more time with your sweet little girl.

17. Lisa says:

Ok, antiquated dial up keeps me from the video, but I’m glad you could make a decision that works for you guys. Deciding to quit work was the hardest thing ever and also one of the best things ever.

18. Blaine says:

Beautiful, Jody! You have made a most perfect decision. You’ll see the rewards today, and for years to come.

19. Sue says:

Jody,
    The video was so very moving. Mia is a precious gift and it’s totally understandable that you want to spend time with your children rather than at work.
    Your boss sounds like a very understanding guy.
    ((hugs))

20. mimi says:

Jody – I’m glad that you were able to do this. I’m sure that Mia and the boys will be so happy to have you home with them.

21. KatieButler says:

Oh, Jody, good for you if this is where your heart is. Glad your boss was so supportive.
    I remember receiving a lovely note from my grad school supervisor after I told her I wouldn’t be pursuing a teaching job at the time b/c we planning to expand our family. It read, “Someday you will teach, but for now, you are shaping other young lives in a most important way.” I still have that note.

22. makor says:

In the big scheme of things Mia and the boys won’t remember
    any financial hardship. They will remember you being there with them,when they come home from school, on back yard adventures and at the beach! Life’s too short.. do what makes you happy.
    mak

23. meredith says:

Lord knows we could use the extra money, but until I can figure out a way to earn it and still be there for my girls, it just isn’t happening. I understand your decision, as hard as it must to have been to make.

24. kathy says:

I think you would have received support for whatever decision you made, but this one (to quit, for now) really resonates with me. that is so incredibly sweet (the video) that I’m actually ferklempt. (sniff)

Congratulations!!!